Friday 26 February 2016

Astro-porter and complete Colony 87 range painted (so far)


I can tell you that was quite a haul but I've finally managed to finish the complete colony 87 range (both 1st and 2nd waves) with this gorgeous little porter (I know I'm ignoring some familiars) !
In all honesty, this was a bit unusual for me to work on so many model one at a time since I'm usually a great supporter of taylorism applied to the hobby (One sesion for a given colour on models from many different projects...) but since all those are so full of character, they just required the extra attention and I'm quite happy with the result !

I've left this particular model because like most of the others I had too many ideas but for this one I couldn't really make my mind. When the time to finish it arose, I couldn't falter !



The asian vibe conveyed by the hat and shoes is very intersting but I didn't really want to make a "space asian" of this model if you see what I mean. I've decided to paint it more casually and not to drive too much attention to those elements in order to give an asian vibe to a space porter more than give loads to bear to a space asian (hope all this makes sense to you ^^')


Don't ask about the camo trousers, I have absolutely no idea why I painted those, it just happen and I'm very glad it did to be honest.

So here we are, here's the first range completely painted :


And since the 2nd one was painted before that, here's the complete collection of models (minus the familiars) :




Now if by a cataclysmic turn of events you had the misfortune to miss the first Kickstarter, I cannot welcome you warmly enough to give the second one a go !
You'll find miniatures from both waves and very intersting combinations of the models (like a Noble set or a astroport set).
The Kickstarter has been funded in mere hours and seems to be an even greater success than the first one. 


Jon/Axiom has put all his heart and talent along Will Beck and Michael Anderson to provide the finest of sci-fi civilian models so go check it out and treat yourself with some right HERE :


16 comments:

  1. Nice job JB, I love what you've done with this guy, and with all the others of course! What a fantastic set :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, nice to read that from you being the C87 black belt that you are ! ^^
      Had load of fun with these and it's lead me to paint a whole different way from what i'm used to !

      Delete
  2. Great range for sure, one of the many pearls that manage to emerge from the depth of Kickstarter. Your clean pein on the whole range do perfectly fit the sheer simplicity of the miniatures, even if they do not lack details at all !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mec ! Kickstarter definitely has the worst and the best to offer. This is obviously the top of the shelf as it delivers exactly what you can expect and even a little more (because seeing a model on a screen is not like having it in hand and painting it).
      Looking at the group shot I'm really surpised by how they all look different. I usually paint in batches which tends to makes things more unified (which I like a lot), I've actually discovered the joy and benefits of painting some models one by one !

      Delete
  3. Camp paints look great. And the whole group together: just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on all of these. One of the great things about these figures is that they can work individually, but as in the master shot above, if you put them all together it looks as if they could just as easily be seen as a traveling pair of nobilitae, along with their retinue of advisers, attendants, and service crew. It's a well put together group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, tha tactually enlightens the desperate need for scenery that is mine !

      Delete
  5. I love the new addition, but I love the crowd shot more!! It just makes me smile to see them all together. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, and I particularly like the camo pants. Very effective... you should reuse this for a more military figure sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camo pants were a test but I quite like how they ended up so they might come back indeed !

      Cheers.

      Delete
  7. That group of miniatures seriously kick ass! Both the sculpts and the paint jobs looks really good and they work together
    Well done!
    /Hans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers man ! They've been a real pleasure to work on so I'm actually hoping for a 3rd wave now (even though the 2nd one is not finished yet...)

      Delete
  8. Ha, Taylorism painting. What an apt description. I often do that myself.
    A splendid collection of figs to stare at, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Taylorism has been my only way of doing things until now. It does save a lot of time and helps getting an unified look, probleme is, that last point can make things blend and you tire more easily.

      Thanks for the kind words ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...